Team Durango’s Joern Neumann is the Top Qualifier of 2WD Buggy at the season finale of the TLR/Spektrum Euro Offroad Series, the back to back champion TQ’ing the fourth & final round of qualifying at the Dortmund event to secure his third A-Main pole position of the 2012/13 series. The German topped the final qualifier ahead of Durango team-mate Michal Orlowski who put in a superb drive in the second fastest heat where he ran competitively up against World Champion Ryan Cavalieri who took third for the round and will make his EOS debut from 4th on the grid.
The only driver who could deny Neumann from carrying No.1 on his buggy in the A-Main, David Ronnefalk looked like he might back up his Q3 TQ run. Moving to the top of the timing screen on lap 10, the Swede would get it wrong at the cross over next time round losing 3-seconds and with it any chance of starting at the opposite end of the grid to which he made his series debut in Austria last month where he qualified 10th. Posting the 5th fastest time for the round just ahead of Christopher Krapp’s similar Orion powered RB6, the 19-year-old Swede will start third on the grid behind his Kyosho team-mate.
Making their first official entry of the second season of the EOS, Team Associated managed to get all three of their US drivers into the Main event at Dortmund. Lacking the experience of their rivals on the uniquely European style carpet surface offroad track, Cavalieri will be joined by Kody Numedahl and Brent Thielke who will start 7th & 8th respectively for the triple leg A-Main which takes place tomorrow in front of one of the biggest audiences RC racing gets in Europe, the event part of the ‘Intermodellbau’ hobby exhibition which attracts in the region of 85,000 visitors.
Lining up behind Cavalieri on the grid in 5th position, 11-year-old Orlowski is going to be one to watch in the final having shown he is not at all fazed by mixing it with the World’s best professional drivers. Completing the Top 6 in the final qualifying ranking despite three Top 3 runs, Hupo Honigl will line-up his DEX210 in the 6th spot.
Making their 2WD debut this weekend, electric offroad newcomers Team Xray will be pleased to get one of their prototype XB2s into the main event with star of Round 3 of the EOS Martin Bayer securing the 10th and final spot on the grid behind the Team C of Tom Maquel.
Having made the 2WD A-Main in Austria on his EOS debut 1:8 Offroad World Champion Robert Batlle couldn’t repeat the result on his second outing and the Yokomo driver will start 8th on the grid in the B-Main, two spots behind the Xray of his great 1:8 Nitro rival Renaud Savoya.
2WD Buggy Qualification Round 4
1. Joern Neumann – Durango – 19/5:12.589
2. Michal Orlowski – Team Durango – 19/5:13.771
3. Ryan Cavalieri – Associated – 19/5:15.405
4. Kody Numedahl – Associated – 19/5:15.738
5. David Ronnefalk – Kyosho – 19/5:15.924
6. Christopher Krapp – Kyosho – 19/5:16.135
7. Brent Thielke – Associated – 19/5:16.898
8. Tom Maquel – Team C – 18/5:00.782
9. Oliver Scholz – Team C – 18/5:01.535
10.Patrick Hofer – Associated – 18/5:01.583
2WD Buggy A-Main Grid
1. Joern Neumann (DE) – Durango – 310 pts
2. Christopher Krapp (DE) – Kyosho – 306
3. David Ronnefalk (DE) – Kyosho – 305
4. Ryan Cavalieri (US) – Associated – 305
5. Michal Orlowski (PL) – Team Durango – 304
6. Hupo Honigl (AT) – Team Durango – 304
7. Kody Numedahl (US) – Associated – 302
8. Brent Thielke (US) – Associated – 298
9. Tom Maquel (LU) – Team C – 297
10.Martin Bayer (CZ) – Xray – 296